Author Topic: PEACE  (Read 2961 times)

Offline vanishing.point

• there is always one who gets away
  • I live on this Board!
Re: about the NEW ALBUM -PEACE-
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2020, 09:57:39 AM »
REVIEW

Brighton squat/folk/rock and Independent Punk royalty the Levellers saunter through a thick nineties smog to deliver their latest album, Peace. The opening track (and the albums first single)  Food Roof Family is a typically beautiful, lyrically powerful and subtle Levellers anthem. The chopping pre-chorus words, drum and fiddle morph into a fist-raising and spirit-shaking crescendo. Next up is the crunchy fax machine opening on the Skids-Esque Generation Fear while the second single Four Lost Boys grabs for hope and remembrance as a remote Scottish Island?s darkest night is laid bare.

The Levellers have never shied away from any subject no matter how raw, personal or sensitive and Peace is a release packed with such topics. Burning Hate Like Fire urges the listener to slow the wheels for a second, just for a moment, a moment of reflection while looking into your own personal mirror before. Born That Way marries a seventies Petty riff with that unmistakeable Leveller?s string work and Chadwick?s distinctive delivery. Our New Day kicks back against injustice with a bouncing backbone before the Calling Out intro whisks in The Cult?s Rain, U2 with a touch of a disgraced glam rocker prior to Levellers normality returning on this somewhat cliched ditty. The pace slows for the emotive Ghosts In The Water before two thrashing minutes of Folk-Punk on the bruising The Men Who Would Be King. The bands Brighton squat gets a nostalgic hug as Albion And Phoenix removes the lead from the roof prior to the forward-looking album closer Our Future. Peace is a chest patting, kiss blowing and reassuring Levellers listen.

8/10
OriginalRock.net
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 09:46:47 AM by vanishing.point »
danced before the storm every second to defy

Offline vanishing.point

• I live on this Board!
Re: about the NEW ALBUM -PEACE-
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 04:34:26 PM »
REVIEW
xsnoize.com, August 10, 2020 Michael Barron

For over three decades the Levellers has consistently given the public authentic, relevant, thought-provoking and feet tapping classics.  Unlike so many bands that were conceived in the late eighties and enjoyed chart success in the nineties their music and accompanying philosophical and politically charged lyrics are as poignant (if not more) now. With so many songs in their back catalogue and the ability to continuously reinterpret their tunes live; the Levellers could still be current and fresh throughout the 2020s without releasing a follow-up LP to their 2012 Static on the Airwaves LP.

Peace not only excites because it is the first collection of new songs in eight years; it also elates because this material earns its right to be counted amongst what is featured on Weapon called the Word (celebrating its thirtieth anniversary this year) and the number one LP Zeitgeist (celebrating its twenty-fifth anniversary this year). The only question left to ask is how and why Peace measures up.

Opening with Food Roof Family, the undying punk charged passion and power is immediately present. Whilst the fiddle section resembles 100 Years of Solitude; this is no formulaic cut and paste project as the urgency of Food Roof Family compels the listener to perspire nervous energy. The lyrics are sung by Mark Chadwick "Have you ever, ever stopped the voices that you ve never heard before? And won t we ever, ever stop. Won t we ever stop to learn?" adroitly tap into the current, chilling zeitgeist.

The energy rush continues with Generation Fear which sees keyboard player Matt Savage open with simple, but powerful and engaging static fused chords accompanied with hard rock guitars and palpitation raising strings and bass lines. This unique, no filler two and a half minute anthem not only induces serotonin but also succinctly broaches the issues of global warming and fake news.

The other powerful, potent, body moving and adrenaline rushing tracks from Peace include Our New Day, lead single Calling Out, The Men Who Would Be King and Albion & Phoenix where (for the exception of the last song where Simon and Mark duet) Simon is the lead vocalist. Our New Day is probably an accidental but perfect hybrid of live classic Dirty Davey and The Game. The call for action can be heard without being tedious or pretentious whilst being mindful of the post-Brexit climate as opposed to the social context leading up to the Criminal Justice Act or 9/11.

Lead single Calling Out sees Simon in the promo video as a modern-day Winston Smith waking up, getting ready to go to work and commuting to work has an unorthodox introduction from a Levellers perspective with an almost Blondie Atomic guitar haunt to it. Whilst like much of the material on this LP Calling Out is political; Simon, however, elevates his political awareness by tapping into the individual (as opposed to left-wing ideology) and how the individual is acquiesced to fit into the modern economy which is captured throughout the lyrics "When did my life become so boring? And was it old the night I turned into a slave?"

The Men Who Would Be King like Our New Day is around the two and a half minute mark but leans more into the intense punk rawness style of folk-punk band Ferocious Dog (who has previously supported the Levellers). The sense of urgency through the fiddle and the Levellers collective cacophony of sound builds up to the perfect crescendo finishing with sudden, unexpected static. Albion & Phoenix is about the early Brighton landmarks (a steep road/hill and a squat) which were influential in the bands formative years to an enchanting music backdrop of opening guitar riffs reminiscent to Sell Out building into a chorus with the uplifting riotous charge of Leave This Town.

As well as powerful punk-fuelled songs Peace also has a plethora of more sanguine (yet equally poignant) acoustic and folk led ballad tracks. Ghosts in the Water which Mark debuted at his acoustic solo gigs calling for spiritual introspection impresses with innovative and original musical arrangements that will leave one melancholy. Four Boys Lost has a lamenting, yet uplifting modern sea shanty vibe where Simon demonstrates himself as an evolving raconteur. The most innovative track is the playout Our Future with its prog, mystical and psychedelic opening with a Summer of Love set amidst the Levellers unique blend of folk and country arrangements with a prominent banjo.

The way the Levellers has promoted their music has changed dramatically. The Peace promotional videos sees the individual Levellers members transformed into Japanese kokeshi style decorated wooden dolls to introduce the tracks, their messages and inspirations to write them. This change is welcome as is the evolution of the sound across many of the tracks without losing the elements and characteristics that make the Levellers unique to their loyal fan base. As with each Levellers LP Jez provides outstanding artwork with colours similar to those used on the Zeitgeist LP in a style reminiscent to his King of All Time piece that featured on the What a Beautiful Day single. With honest, non-preaching social commentary and being a collective uplifting force for good; Peace is likely to become a lean and filler-free Levellers classic to existing and new listeners.

9/10
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 04:42:54 PM by vanishing.point »

Offline vanishing.point

• I live on this Board!
Re: about PEACE
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2020, 01:52:13 PM »
REVIEW
atthebarrier.com by Howard King on 12th August 2020

Levellers last album of original material (2012*s Static On The Airwaves) came out eight years ago; it*s been a long awaited release for the Levellers faithful who could have been forgiven for thinking the band were heading in a completely different direction. Mark Chadwick et al have been busy putting together this splendid album.

I must admit I was a latecomer to the Levellers. I was introduced to them a few years ago at a show at Manchester*s Castlefield Bowl as a part of their series of summer concerts. The set was predominantly from the eponymous Levelling The Land album and the audience were jigging along to their infectious lively beat.

When they were included on the bill for Fairport*s Cropredy Convention they delivered some of their familiar songs in a more acoustic set which was met with some consternation amongst some fans; a little akin to Dylan*s electric delivery at Free Trade Hall in the 60*s! Fortunately for me I wasn*t that well steeped in the Levellers lore to be that disappointed and enjoyed their set as much as I had before.

The aforementioned fans will be thrilled with Peace, which returns to the more upbeat, stomping, jigging style. Some of the tracks will be familiar already after they recently released a handful of tracks as downloaded singles including the latest single Generation Fear, which along with Food Roof Family sets the tone for most of the other tracks.

The first single from the album, Food Roof Family, attacks the efforts of the media to misrepresent those who can not defend themselves. It sets the scene for a collection of songs brusquely tackling current issues as the Levellers insist on making strong, viable (gosh nearly said strong and stable?that would never do!) personal statements with their intent of hope for the future made crystal clear with the albums* title.

'It*s an aspirational title,' says Levellers singer/guitarist Mark Chadwick. 'We*re searching for peace. I*m not a religious man, but it feels like the devil is walking the earth right now, but that doesn*t mean there*s no hope.' That is an opinion that*s hard to disagree with and the culprits need not be named.

Four Boys Lost tells the tale of a tragic accident off the coast of Scotland when four young lives were taken away from an island community. These young men represented the future of that community, and the story reflects how everyone*s future is globally fragile today.

Ghosts In The Water and The Men Who Would Be King are both powerful commentaries and warnings of the dangers of letting political and ecological issues get out of hand.

Albion & Phoenix, shows that The Levellers are proud of the past but are wary that we must not be dragged down by nostalgia, the future depends on us moving on positively making crucial decisions to promote a worthwhile society. Peace. It is both a celebration of the Levellers' past and a warning against the suffocating nature of nostalgia.

All eleven thrilling, pulsating songs are a commentary, in terms of a powerful retort, of our society which is on the brink of terminal gloom if we do not act positively. Despite their experience and longevity the band maintain the same level of anger and enthusiasm mixed with expert song craft, verve and direction.

There is little room for melancholy and like the dynamic fury of Our New Day, these songs are thrashed out and batter us in the way we like the Levellers to spurt out their music and thoughts into our lug holes with tunefulness and musicality never abandoned.

Not only are the group typically 'tight' musically but they are together in the purpose behind the songs illuminated by bassist Jerry Cunningham; 'The album is about the state of the world and our state of mind,' It*s the most anxious-sounding record we*ve done in a long time. It*s the way the world is. We*re just reflecting it. It*s an album of now.'
Produced at the band*s own Metway Studios by longtime collaborator Sean Lakeman ('He knows the Levellers better than the Levellers,' says Chadwick), Peace possesses the precision we expect from The Levellers, and hopefully fans will not only just jig and chant along but listen to the startling messages contained herein.

Listen to, and watch, Levellers great video to Albion & Phoenix. It*s a song that sonically encapsulates Levellers.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 02:50:25 PM by vanishing.point »

Offline vanishing.point

• I live on this Board!
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2020, 11:13:36 AM »
REVIEW

by  Phil Grundy,   RockWELL UnScene Magazine

PEACE arrives almost eight years since the Brighton band?s last album of original material, 2012?s ?Static On The Airwaves,? though the band have been far from idle.

Having long been one of the best live bands around, their shows are an integral part of what the LEVELLERS do, but with the current situation our global community is facing, the band have had to postpone all dates, including their ?Beautiful Days festival,? until 2021 with more details to follow here.
I have to say I?m so excited to be reviewing one of my favourite bands new album ?Peace.? So OK here we go?  Cover art is in typical LEVELLERS style by Jeremy Cunningham. A painting reminiscent of the Zeitgeist cover, this time a Blue and red Phoenix.
?Food Roof Family? Opening the album up in true LEVELLERS fashion Track 1.  Right from the get go the vibe is there, taking me back to the familiar sound that can be heard on albums such as ?A Weapon Called The Word? or on ?Levelling The Land?. It?s good to hear the same message of real people with real problems still have a place. They certainly haven?t lost their originality, but put a new twist on an already great original sound. Great opener.
?Generation Fear? Quite a heavy opening on this one. Hard riffs combined with melodic vocals. I like this track for it?s great arrangement and vocal performance from Mark Chadwick (Lead Vocals). He sounds as good today as he did back in 1990.

?Four Boys Lost?  A radio friendly track opening up nicely with the haunting sound of Violin and folk instruments. This reminds me a lot of a track called ?Julie? from their self titled 1993 release.
?Burning Hate Like Fire?  Now this is a very different sound from these guys. Reminds me very much of a Queen track, a lighten number that just has that afternoon relaxing in the sun with a cold beverage vibe.
?Born That Way?  I don?t know why, but this intro conjured up images of Michael Jackson and Slash performing together on a certain track from back in early 1990?s, then recovering to a much familiar sound.  I feel this song wouldn?t be out of place on a chilling afternoon playing on a Jukebox in a bar somewhere,nowhere.
?Our New Day?  Remarkable similarity to previous ?Battle of The Beanfield? and ?The Devil Went Down To Georgia? on this track. Maybe this should be renamed ?Battle of The Beanfield Part 2.?  Riddled with Violin solo?s and melodic breaks, I really like it.
?Calling Out?  A very 80?s sounding intro. Once the song gets underway, lining up with that radio friendly sound that can be played anywhere, anytime.  I suspect this was the direction they we?re aiming for on this whole album.
?Ghosts In The Water?  Acoustic guitars a plenty on this, A strum and sing along bonanza that the LEVELLERS are famous for. Reminds of ?Maid Of The River? from their 1995 release ?Zeitgeist? proving that they can stick to their own sound yet still be original in the song writing.
?The Men Who Would Be King?  Wow! Going from Track 8 to Track 9 I feel like i just stepped out of a Sunday Pub Lunch and straight into a Punk Rock club filled with folk loving pirates on a Friday night. The LEVELLERS never fail to deliver both melodic and heavy. I love they can still pull this off in 2020.

?Albion & Phoenix? Mark Chadwick and friend sharing vocal duties and inspired by a squatted brewer named ?The Phoenix on Brighton?s Albion Hill.?  Another real story sung for real people. The roots of The LEVELLERS have always been this and they?ve not failed to deliver this here. If ?Dirty Davey? (Levellers 1993) and ?The Game? (Levelling The Land 1991) had a baby then this would be it.

?Our Future?  There?s a lot of originality in this track. Starts off sounding a lot like ?The Boatman? (Levelling The Land 1991) But soon changes into something very original. ?Our Future? has that unique sound, however taking on a new direction making a very suitable ending track. ?Our Future, it?s important and don?t forget it.?
30 years in this band have yet to falter, producing fresh new music to stand the test of time, but staying true to their original sound.  I know fans won?t be disappointed with this masterpiece.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 11:21:44 AM by vanishing.point »

Offline vanishing.point

• I live on this Board!
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2020, 08:47:38 AM »
finally the Pre-Release era is history   

PEACE 
D-DAY

Welcome !   

Offline vanishing.point

• I live on this Board!
PEACE Chart bOOster
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2020, 05:46:16 PM »
Due to the chance.     (check   the chart topic on board for details) 

No accidental moving of albums  here. 
It is more about PEACE seen as a piece of art
- and nails.

Plus two for me.
1 CD - gift
1 Vinyl album - to nail it  framed to the wall  -   art, bright  colourful in useful  good size - would shine  similar  on any shelf.

imagine listen to a digital copy with  such a PEACE in view -  even looks like a CD booster. 

works forever, stays art without music too
 and  it is worth to aim for the  special  effect    now.
there is no second week for PEACE   battling for a high chart  entry    ;)  Thursday 20.08.2020    time is over.   
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 08:40:57 AM by vanishing.point »

Offline vanishing.point

• I live on this Board!
about PEACE
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2020, 10:41:28 AM »

- Cancelled Tour T-Shirt available -
https://townsendmusic.store/?page=products&search=levellers

sold out will pretty sure erase the pic here

Offline vanishing.point

• I live on this Board!
about PEACE
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2020, 11:14:10 AM »
  PEACE most wanted live song   

BURNING HATE LIKE FIRE

all in all an easy  pick to me because it comes with  Gaensehaut effect
and sounds like  powered by and brewed with Sleeping and Far Away  stuff 
plus with didgeridoo live on stage as encore   

but the album is a pretty   troublemaker to name a fave song, even a top 5 is   painful tough  thanks to all the attraction on all levels.   
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 11:19:34 AM by miss liberty »

Offline vanishing.point

• I live on this Board!
Re: PEACE - What Do You Think
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2020, 11:34:02 AM »
in my ears the album sounds like the ultimate result of L e v e l l e r s tunes matched with some keyboard action

!Confess! stuff is also in Burning Hate Like Fire

I want a Truth and Lies album with  PEACE sound  8)   

Offline vanishing.point

• I live on this Board!
Re: PEACE
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2020, 02:56:01 AM »
midnight thought about a analogy  ;)   even in years!!

A Weapon Called The Word (1990) <...> PEACE (2020)
Rocky (1976) <...> Rocky Balboa (2006)
 subjectiv stuff but not a fantasy
The emotional impact was very similar with the return of the boxer 2006.
And PEACE includes a fitting booster -Albion & Phoenix- for this unusual comparison.
-  release gaps are 16 years for the boxer and 8 for the Levs - and the music was never such a failure like R5 1990.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:58:43 AM by vanishing.point »

Offline vanishing.point

• I live on this Board!
Re: PEACE
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2020, 10:11:05 AM »
 four weeks PEACE sounds clear like a PEACE tour should present all 11 album tracks live.
 encore about 50(!) minutes - to vary songs in a heavy rotation style  8)

favourite song (in the first four weeks and with a non-existing lead to some others)
 Burning Hate Like Fire
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 09:14:46 AM by vanishing.point »